Tuesday, November 20, 2012

It's Interesting

...how things work out.

With the variety of things that have occurred in my life, over the course of this entire year, I suppose that I should have anticipated a blog post of this nature.  The irony of occurrences, being deemed a manner of coincidence, has become a common theme for me.

Allow me to explain.  I believe everything that occurs, happens for its own [intended] purpose. 

And here I sit, at a desk, a year after I had thought about it.  When I was about to go into my senior year of college, the topic of a career after school seemed unavoidable.  Coming at me from all angles, like lasers in a competitive game of laser tag, I couldn't seem to shake the family members, classmates, friends, etc.  There wasn't really an opportunity for me anywhere, at that point.  I was just mulling over the angle I could take, to cover up the questions.  People seemed to quickly forget that I actually had an ENTIRE year left of school.  Nonetheless, I entertained the voice in my head, and proceeded to assume that Best Buddies would provide as a great opportunity, and a way for me to connect with people.  As the year progressed, I became more involved with school, my part time job, and various endeavours (both great, and horrible).  The idea of my "career" faded into the darkness.

As 2012 began, a lot of distractions became present in my life.  This led me far away from the idea that Best Buddies would work, and that I should instead pursue a career in the corporate world.  I have to confess that I had been very intimidated by the corporate world.  It seemed like some George Lucas esque place, in a land far, far away.  Regardless of my feelings, I went along for the ride, on a journey of what-ifs.  Applying to random jobs, in random cities would be a common theme for me, in the next couple of months.  Then, it was followed by a lot of hand sitting (because I was unsure if the corporate world even made sense for someone like me).  As the summer of 2012 ended (which I must say, wasn't a great summer to remember), I went to California with my father, for a Best Buddies ride event (which was not a set up either; I was simply along for the ride [no pun intended]).  While I was there, I was surrounded by this great organization, that I had been part of, for the entirety of my life.  Upon reflection of my time at the event, I was compelled to email the chairman of Best Buddies (who is a family friend), as well as some of the other main workers for the event, to tell them how great of an event I thought it was.  I got a great response back.  Low and behold, I became a topic of conversation, to be a future employee.  I was offered, in the meantime, to travel and volunteer for the Washington, D.C. event, in October.  That turned out to be a long, but great weekend.  I was now involved in the discussions, as a full time rides coach, for the event that they were planning on bringing to Miami in the future.  Along with that, the playful Best Buddies Challenge ride team honored me with the new nickname of "Pledge" (as though Best Buddies was a fraternal organization).  I embraced it all, and began to work towards starting at Best Buddies.  After about a month of time, I am here, in the Best Buddies International Headquarters Office, in Miami.  The Irony of it all, the pushing of myself away from the great opportunity that was thought up, only to fall back into the welcoming [and overly joyous] hands of this organization.  I was shown a couple of things along the way.  It has now become evident that I shouldn't allow myself to run away from things.  It is also now known to me, that life isn't as complicated as we make it.  When our minds run astray, and on to the imaginary [large] thoughts and ideas, it can be destructive. 

...and in the end, I find myself at the beginning of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment