Friday, January 6, 2012

What Does It Mean? Pt. 1

Firstly, I would like to apologize for my lack of entries, as of late.  It has been a rigorous and busy past six weeks [or so] for me!  I had to turn in my leased car and get a new one.  Then a week later, wrap up the school semester.  Followed by winter break, which included Christmas (and all of its associated events), Breakthru, and a vacation for New Years.  Although everything is true, those are roughly the WORST excuses.  I know that I had time to write an entry in there.  Instead, I decided to take notes in my phone, of things on my mind that I would like to share.  I apologize ahead of time for the choppiness of this entry so far.  I am a bit rusty, I suppose.  Bare with me.


Buy a Christmas tree, put it in the stand, decorate it, and stare at it.  Feel the frenzy as Christmas Day approaches; anticipation, causing frantic anxiety.  Purchase gifts, wrap them, place them under the tree, and wait.  Christmas Day arrives.  Open the much anticipated presents, eat, lounge around all day, and then it's all over.  What is Christmas about?  Is it the items we receive?  Is it the food we eat?  Is it the people we spend time with?  Is it the shopping?  Is it the Christmas Eve church service?  Or is it actually about Christ?  Yes, Jesus Christ.  You know, the baby in a manger?  Yeah, well, when we get all caught up in the gift giving, the eating, and our loved ones that we cherish during that time of year, we forget the most important thing.  It's interesting...people have gone so far as to look it up, and disprove that Jesus was even born on Christmas Day.  Then, now back to the crux of the issue, what is the purpose of celebrating the day?  Well, Christmas is divided into "Christ's Mass".  Therefore, meaning the celebration (mass) of Christ.


So, there I was, in traffic.  It was December 22nd, for goodness sake!!  I knew that was going to happen.  I should have done my shopping earlier.  I do the usual, traditional 'beat myself up about it' rendition, as I found myself stuck at yet another red light.  That's when it hit me.  Why are we buying gifts for each other!?  Has tradition grasped such a hold on us, that we can't help but continue to follow in it?  Am I suggesting that we stop the giving of gifts?  NO!  I am merely suggesting that we stop the absolute craze!  What bothers me, is the great intent to please so many people around ourselves.  The desire to give to those who have got.  Am I making any sense?  Maybe if we look at the numbers:


http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=KGPDGPNX


Now how ridiculous does it sound?  The pastor at my church showed that during his sermon, two weeks before Christmas.  It made me want to do something.  It made me want to give my time.  It made me want to take action for those in need.  Sacrifice what I have, to give to others.  Isn't that the ENTIRE meaning of the Gospel!?!?  Isn't that EXACTLY what God did!?  Does the name Jesus Christ ring a bell??  Isn't that why we celebrate anyway!?  Where is the Christ in Christmas these days!?!?  Maybe I am a few weeks late on this, or maybe I'm right on time.  I was told, not too long ago, that it is never too late to act.  I firmly believe this.  I firmly believe that we are capable of many things.  It is just that we don't have the thought...rather, the desire to take the steps to do what is right!!


And guess what?  Santa Claus...yeah, He's real!  Think about it.  "You better watch out, you better not cry.  Better not pout, I'm telling you why.  Santa Claus is coming to town.  He's making a list, and checking it twice.  Gonna find out who's naughty and nice.  Santa Claus is coming to town.  He sees you when you're sleeping, He knows when you're awake.  He knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake!  O!  You better watch out!  You better not cry!  Better not pout, I'm telling you why.  Santa Claus is coming to town.  Santa Claus is coming to town."  Do you know who Mr. Claus is made out to be?  Do you know what He represents?  It's God.  I had this revelation while singing this song a few weeks back.  Think about it.  He sees you when you're sleeping.  He knows when you're awake.  He knows if you've been bad or good.  Why, that sounds like Santa knows all!!  The very symbol of what Christmas is; the face of the holiday is a portly man, dressed in an outrageous, and vibrantly red, suit...played as a figurehead for God.  Do you see the commonality!?


The holiday has long passed, but there is still time to act!!  Don't get caught watching the hustle and bustle.  Be the person who changes CHRISTmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment